Max’s birth story

Now that Max is now 10 weeks old it’s time for me to slowly get back into blogging. What better way to do it then to share his birth story with you. I’m very happy to say that this story is completely different to my first birth story with our first child, Jake.

At five days before my due date I was completely desperate to go into labour but I was fully expecting to go overdue as this is what happened with Jake. So at first when I started feeling a mild ache in my bump I put it down to Braxton Hicks which I had on and off for the last couple of weeks.

Jake and I went to my Dads for tea as Jamie was at a work meeting. When we got home home and I got Jake to bed I was still having the ache, which I described to Jamie as going from a mild period pain to a strong period pain but nothing more then that. So I still didn’t think anything of it. At Jamie’s insistence I phoned the maternity ward to ask them how I could tell the difference between labour pains and Braxton hicks, this was at about 7pm. They advised me I need to be having regular pains that were four minutes apart for at least four hours to be considered to be labour so to phone them back in two hours with an update.

At this time I still really thought I wasn’t really in labour. Over the next hour the pains got more regular and more intense, so I had a shower and got the last minute bits of my hospital bag ready just in case. By 8.30pm my ache had progressed to a manageable pain. We phoned the ward and said we wanted to come in. It then took us just under an hour to get Jake out of bed and drop him off at Jamie’s parents house before making our way to the hospital. In this time my pain levels had shot up and my contractions were now three minutes apart and causing me to moan in pain.

The walk from the car park to the maternity ward at hospital seamed to take forever and included three stops for contractions. We then had another two contractions in the waiting room of the ward before anyone came to see us. At which point I was almost in tears and cursing the hospital for saying stay at home as long as possible, as if you do that they should expect you to be in need of pain relief as soon as you get there.

When I was finally examined I was already 4cm dilated and told to go straight through to delivery, cue another walk through the hospital with two more contractions on the way. When I got into the delivery room, I went straight onto the gas and air with gusto! We never even opened my maternity bag so I never had chance to change my clothes or put on our music.

The few hours went by in a complete blur for me. I never let up on the gas and air and was very effected by it, feeling completely high as a kite and finding it quite hard to communicate with Jamie or the midwife. Throughout the next few hours I had two injections of pethadin and towards the end started pleading with the midwife for an epidural, despite saying I didn’t really want one in my birth plan because of my fear or needles. However the midwife informed me it was too late for an epidural.

At about 2.30am my body naturally started to push. It took me some time to get the hang of pushing as I kept screaming at the same time with was making my pushing less effective. Eventually the midwife took the gas and air off me, which I really wasn’t happy about, I was trying to hold onto it with my teeth when she was trying to take it away! Apparently I was too focused on getting the pain relief to really push.

Without the gas and air clouding my head I was able to push much better, but it also hurt a lot more too. The midwife was just about to give me a cut to help me deliver the head, when the head was born naturally, and one more push and Max entered the world.

Max was born at 3.14 am weighing 8lbs 4oz. We are now one very happy family of four : )

One thought on “Max’s birth story

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s