I really enjoy baking but it is not something I have any real experience of and I would place myself firmly in the ‘beginner’ category. I stumbled across this recipe a few years ago when their was a bake off at work. I wanted to do something that looked impressive but was still within my very limited skill set. After googling something along the lines of ” easy but impressive baking recipes” I found this recipe for cinnamon swirl buns. It is simple and quick and very very easy but with great visual and taste results, and has been a firm favourite with us ever since.
1 sheet of shop bought puff pastry
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 large handful of sultanas
1 tsp almond extract
1/2 cup of icing sugar
Hand full of cherries
1. Lay out the puff pastry
2. With a pastry brush. Brush on the almond extract all over the pastry sheet
3. Sprinkle the ground cinnamon over the pastry sheet
4. Spread the sultanas over the pastry sheet.
5. Roll the pastry sheet alone the long side into one large sausage shape
6. Cut the pastry sausage into discs about 1 1/2 cm thick
7. Place on grease proof paper on a baking tray and bake for 20 mins
8. Allow to cool
9. Mix the icing sugar with water and drizzle over the buns.
10. Garnish with a cherry
It really is that simple and they taste great!